AU-IAPSC’s mandate is to coordinate and provide support to the protection of plant resources for the welfare and economic development in the Member States of the African Union (AU). Specifically, the particular mandate is ;
- To prevent the introduction and spread of pests which attack and damage crops and forests in Africa.
- To develop a common strategy against the introduction and spread of pests particularly through the harmonization of phytosanitary legislation.
- To ensure co-operation and a harmonized approach in all areas of plant protection where governments take official measures (registration of pesticides, certification of plant materials, accreditation of people who apply pesticides etc).
- To provide a documentation service for provision and exchange of information in all areas of its activities. Activities as outlined in the Maputo Declaration:
- Plant protection information management.
- Development of strategies against the introduction and spread of plant pests.
- Promotion of safe and sustainable plant protection techniques.
- Enlighten member states on the implications of the WTO-SPS
- Agreement on international agricultural trade.