Participation of the interafrican phytosanitary council in the 2019 IPPC regional workshop for africa
From November 2 to 6, 2019, the regional workshop of the International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC) was held in Nairobi, Kenya. Invited to contribute to this workshop, the Inter African Phytosanitary Council participated alongside more than 36 other participants including 27 representing focal points and representatives of other regional offices.
The Inter-African Phytosanitary Council was represented by Prof. Abdel Fattah Mabrouk Amer (Entomology) and Ms Luiza Munyua (Phytopathology).
Many sensitive regional and global topics were raised such as:
– Actions implemented by the RECs of West and South Africa with a view to the implementation of the International Standards for Phytosanitary Measures (ISPMs) and the assistance provided to their respective States with a view to the establishment of its standards.
– Damage caused by Fall armyworm infestations in Kenya and the control strategies developed
– New pest monitoring techniques
– The Beyond Compliance Global project
Prof. Abdel Fattah Mabrouk Amer (Entomology) and Ms Luiza Munyua (Phytopathology) took part to this end in many activities such as:
– A special session to raise awareness and identify national and regional needs in order to limit the spread of Fusarium Tropical Race 4 (TR4).
– A visit organized by the Kenya Phytosanitary Inspection Service to Vegpro Kenya Limited in Naivasha with the objective of appreciating and understanding the production chain of cut flowers and vegetables targeting different export markets.